Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Surviving and MacGyvering



            “I can’t even imagine being anywhere but here right now.” That’s a feeling that I’ve had many times on this trip; At Ndarakwai when I stepped into a Land Rover for the first time, popped the top, and stood on the seats for the duration of the two hour night drive; again at Tarangire when I had my first close up encounter with my spirit animal, the giraffe. When we arrived in the Lake Manyara area, it happened when I was given a block of wood, a mallet, and a piece of metal, and encouraged to try my hand at African woodcarving. I could sit here and attempt to recount all of the moments that I’ve experienced over the past nearly three months that have served to assure me that my decision to live in Tanzania for a semester was a necessary component to add to my life’s quilt, but that would be boring. Besides, if you have been reading this blog up to this point, you already know about the major ones, or at least those that were somewhat possible to attempt to portray through mere sentences. After Maasai homestay, however, those moments started to become fewer and farther between. I was haunted by daydreams about food other than rice and beans. The language barrier was testing my patience, and I was tired of mosquito netting and Nairobi flies. On top of that, I told my parents on the phone the other day that if I were to describe my research project in two words, they would be “Murphy’s Law”…
            Let me back up a bit… After spending a week in Arusha completing finals, which included a presentation on ruminants (those impala again) and determining what “IT” was, and making a case for whether or not “IT” was working, Thea, Sarah, and I headed for the coast again. It started off a bit unlucky, when we purchased bus tickets for 9 o’clock AM, after being assured by a taxi driver that, “yes, Airtel will be open at 7, so you can buy that phone your parent’s want you to invest in tomorrow, no problem”, only to realize that Arusha is without doubt asleep until at least 8 AM. So we headed to Tanga, I had no phone, we had no minutes for our portable wifi stick that we needed to do our research projects, and we were missing several other items that we had wanted to purchase prior to leaving. Although Tanga is a big city on the map, it is not exactly a tourist destination, and we had been warned by several people that there is not much in the way of shopping there. Feeling pessimistic, we went to our hotel, were forced to pay for two rooms even though we really only needed one, and were then hassled about the importance of writing down our passport numbers for the immigration official. Tired and irritated, we fell asleep without dinner. We woke up the next morning, ready to have our hopes dashed regarding our supplies, but alas, we were wrong. It turns out that Tanga not only had everything that we needed, but it was also a whole lot easier to navigate than Arusha, not to mention the people were much friendlier. It was incredibly refreshing to be approached by a couple of Bibi’s (grandmother’s), who simply wanted to greet us and welcome us to Tanga, rather than feed us a sob story about their fifteen grandchildren and hold their hand out for shillings. We also met a lovely woman who presented the three of us with beautiful headscarves, as a gift, and then decorated our hands with henna drawings, free of charge. Mama Tumai, the manager of Drifter’s (our hotel), also happened to be in town that day, and offered us a lift all the way to the hotel. Each armed with hiker’s packs and regular daypacks, we were beyond ecstatic at the prospect of avoiding a two hour daladala ride all the way to Ushongo.
            Luck for me, however, seemed to end that day. I’m at the beach doing an independent study on biodiversity in the intertidal zone. I thought that it would be a simple project, especially after hearing the tasks lying before several of my peers. That turned out to be as far from true as possible. The last time I was here, I explored the reef during extreme spring tide (for those of you who do not list “Ecology” as an area of expertise, spring tide is when high tide is at its highest, and low tide is at its lowest), which meant that nearly the entire system was exposed to the air, and it was very easy to walk out and see starfish, crabs, and clams galore. Prior to my return, I assumed that it would always be like that. Then I learned better… First of all, despite the fact that I arrived during spring tide this time too, low tide was not nearly as low as it had been before. I couldn’t even find the reef, and would probably still be searching if Thea and I hadn’t visited the dive shop belonging to one of the upscale resorts on the beach. Turns out that the reef is about 750 meters out in the section that I was searching in. It gets closer to shore near my hotel, but in any event, that factor blew my intended method of researching out of the water (quite literally). Each day I created a new plan to attempt to overcome all of the obstacles, redesigned my project again and again, but every time when I returned and was met with the eager questions from my friends and other people who frequently visit Drifter’s (the name of the hotel is incredibly appropriate), I had to admit that, once again, I had been defeated. One day when I asked Sarah to come out and give me a hand, I finished the outing thoroughly convinced that I would have to give up and come up with a new project (Thea also came out with me one day. Both started helping in high spirits, and informed me that they were jealous of my project. Both ended with grimaces, and declared that they never wanted to go back there again…). But giving up is not me. I’m as stubborn as they come, just ask my parents, I’m sure they will back me up on that one…
            Floating on the surface of the Indian Ocean, gently riding the waves, watching them stir up phosphorescent algae, and looking up at the Milky Way, clearly visible in the night sky. That was my most recent “I can’t even imagine being anywhere but here right now” moment. It was magical. It put my unsettled mind to rest. It didn’t matter that I can’t speak Kiswahili, or that Maasai homestay affected my brain in a way that now makes me cringe every time a child touches me, or that my clothes never get fully cleaned when I wash them. Something in me changed that night, and I have been filled with a sense of optimism and a “you’re here, be here” mentality that I thought had been wrung out of me the last 50 times I heard a stranger yell “mzungu” at me on the street.
            I started constructing solutions to solve my problems before the Milky Way night. I had constructed a quadrant out of beach debris to address the issue that rope and sticks will float away with the tide, and are therefore useless for boxing off a sample area. Every challenge that I came to from that point on, I faced with the art minor side of my brain (people often question the connection between art and science. I’ve learned from this experience that, at least when it comes to research, one can’t stand without the other), each time getting a little bit closer to accomplishing my goal, but always having one more thing to fix. The optimism instilled in me that night, restored my patience though. I have encountered everything from freak storms to my shoes getting stolen while attempting to carry out this assignment, but today, I finally succeeded with my sampling. Fingers crossed, the rest of the week will turn out similar results!
A very happy belated birthday to my best friend, Juliana (April 14th), and a happy early birthday to Carolyn, one of my new SIT friends who is doing her ISP in Arusha (April 18th). Wish I could have/could be there to celebrate with you both!

No comments:

Post a Comment